Connect dry contact relays and aftermarket smart garage door controller to Security+ 2.0 LiftMaster, Chamberlain or Craftsman opener with yellow “learn” button.
Most of the garage door openers work with a wired doorbell-type buttons that momentarily connect the two wires. This makes it easy to interface them with the smart garage door controllers such as Garadget (see how it works). A small number of LiftMaster, Chamberlain and Craftsman openers use a proprietary communication protocol and do not support a simple button control. It is however still possible to control them externally by using a native remote as an adapter. This adapter utilizes a native LiftMaster 883LM wired wall controller (user manual).
- Keep bronze colored “speaker” wires separate and unconnected. Connect red and white wires to the corresponding terminals in the garage door opener. Wires from the existing wall button should also remain connected. For reliable connection you may need to twist the wires from adapter with the existing wires. Steady yellow light under the main button of the adapter indicates that it receives power.
- Test the button on the adapter and ensure that it operates the door. The existing wall button should also continue to work.
- Connect two remaining “speaker” wires to relay’s normally open contacts. The polarity of this connection is not important.
- Use app or command controlling your dry contact device to test the remote operation.
- LiftMaster Elite Series 8500 – the wired connection is not Security+ 2.0 compatible and does not require an adapter. The relay’s contacts can be connected directly to the opener’s terminals. Adapter is required for the wireless connection.
- LiftMaster Elite Series 8500W – is fully Security+ 2.0 compatible and requires adapter for wired or wireless dry contact connection.
- Genie Series 3 GDOs – use different serial protocol from Security+ 2.0. The adapter in this listing does not work for Genie openers, instead use their native adapter for dry contact control.
Check out Garadget for Control4 allowing cost effective and effortless integration of the existing garage door opener into Control4 system without resorting to a patchwork of relays and sensors.